The Gross US National Debt

My Take On Things

Things and events the way I see them.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

City Cyclists


Approximately 70,000 motor-vehicle collisions are reported each year in Toronto. Although bicycles are involved in less than 2 per cent of these (around 1,200 per year), cyclists account for over 6 per cent of the city's traffic-related injuries. – This was taken from Toronto’s website and I gotta tell ya, I’m getting very tired of the cyclist’s taking up the road space they do.
Even though they are classified as a vehicle on the road, ( A bicycle is a vehicle under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA). This means that, as a cyclist, you have the same rights and responsibilities to obey all traffic laws as other road users. ) they do nothing but slow everyone down.

I say put ‘em on the sidewalk like everyone else and free up the roads for the Real vehicles. I also say that if they are classified as a vehicle, then they should be regulated as such, and any bike not up to standards such as having working lights and reflective equipment should be ticketed, same goes for disobeying the rules of the road. How many times have you encountered a traffic jam only to see five minutes later that the cause of the tie up is two cyclists traveling side by side who figure they have every right to take the entire lane for their 20 km/h joyride because “we are classified as a vehicle”.

Bullshite, Put ‘em on the sidewalk I say, put ‘em on the sidewalk. I tell you, they might be able to stop on a dime and make sharp turns, but they are no match for a 3000 lb vehicle moving at 35 km/h or more, that’s for damn sure. Jagoff time wasting cyclists.

1 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both cyclists a drivers are to blame.Some cyclists dont know the rules of the road and some motorists dont either. Both need to Stop at stop signs, Signals and not cut each other off. We all know drivers who own "Regulated" vehicles and should not be driving them.I havent got the One sided view on this issue because I have shared the road as a cyclist and a driver. I have experienced the stupidity of both.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home